MARRIAGE AND ANNULMENT

The Sacrament of Marriage is a covenant by which a man and a woman establish in the presence of God and His Church a lifetime partnership, which by nature is ordered for the good of the spouses and the procreation of children. Pastors & deacons , if you have any anwers to the questions below, please feel free to share your ideas. My apology, I don't answer your questions anymore to avoid confusions. Just approach your parish priest for advice. home:http://catholicmarriages.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Inter-Faith Marriages

I found your web site on the internet and I noticed that there were some questions on inter-faith marriages.

I am in a similar situation, and would be very grateful if you would be able to answer my questions.

My boyfriend and I would like to get married. I am Roman Catholic and he is Greek Orthodox. The ceremony would be held in the Greek Orthodox church. I will still remain Roman Catholic, my boyfriend will still remain Greek Orthodox, and should we have any children, the children would also be baptized and raised in the Roman Catholic faith. My boyfriend agrees with this and has no issues with it. The part that I am not sure about is that my boyfriend was previously married and divorced in the Greek Orthodox church (his ex-wife was Greek Orthodox also). However, his ex-wife was already married and divorced (no annulment) once already (to another Greek Orthodox man) before marrying my boyfriend. So, my boyfriend was actually her second husband. Her first ex-husband is still alive.

My questions are: 1) Would the Roman Catholic church recognize my boyfriend's marriage to his former wife as being invalid since she was already married and divorced once before and her first husband is still alive?

2) If the Roman Catholic church does regard my boyfriend's previous marriage as being valid, would they recognize our marriage if my boyfriend had an annulment on his previous marriage? If yes, does he require an annulment from the Greek Orthodox church only or does he require some form of annulment from the Roman Catholic church or both?

3) Assuming we can get to a point where the Roman Catholic church views my boyfriend's previous marriage as invalid, is there any way to have our marriage in the Greek Orthodox church acknowledged by the Roman Catholic church as a valid marriage? Would having a Roman Catholic priest attending the ceremony be sufficient or would he need to participate in the ceremony as well?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home