MARRIAGE AND ANNULMENT

The Sacrament of Marriage is a covenant by which a man and a woman establish in the presence of God and His Church a lifetime partnership, which by nature is ordered for the good of the spouses and the procreation of children. Pastors & deacons , if you have any anwers to the questions below, please feel free to share your ideas. My apology, I don't answer your questions anymore to avoid confusions. Just approach your parish priest for advice. home:http://catholicmarriages.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm Confused

I have a question ... if you don't mind?

I read all the material about annulment, etc., on your website but my situation didn't seem to be included.

I am American by birth and my wife is from the Philippines, which is where we were married 18 years ago. I had a previous non-sacramental marriage to a non-Christian woman. The priest asked me questions and spoke with the bishop who then authorized the wedding in the Church. (I was baptized in a protestant church but made a Profession of Faith and was Confirmed in the Catholic Church after my previous marriage had ended in divorce.) Here's my "problem." The Bishop gave VERBAL authority for the priest to marry us in the Church. No paper trail!

Now, I am applying for the Permanent Diaconate Aspirancy and Formation Program and - naturally - they have asked me for the certificate of annulment from my previous marriage. I attached a statement explaining the above but if that is not sufficient what would I do? Our marriage contract shows my previous marital status and that we were married by a Catholic priest in the Catholic Church. Is this (lack of written authorization) a common occurrence? Or even an uncommon one that does happen on occasion? What can I tell the interview committee?

I'm heavily involved in the Church as a Catechist, Sacristan, Mass Coordinator, Eucharistic Minister, Lector, St. Vincent de Paul Society Counselor, Minister to the Sick, etc.

And now I'm confused.

Well, thanks for listening even if this is as puzzling to you as it is to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home